10 Kasım 2012

Leonard Cohen

The Fly

In his black armor
the house-fly marched the field
of Freia's sleeping thighs,
undisturbed by the soft hand
which vaguely moved
to end his exercise.

And it ruined my day --
this fly which never planned
to charm her or to please
should walk boldly on that ground
I tried so hard
to lay my trembling knees

(Let us Compare Mythologies 1956)

* * *

Song (I almost went to bed)

I almost went to bed
without remembering
the four white violets
I put in the button-hole
of your green sweater

and how I kissed you then
and you kissed me
shy as though I'd 
never been your lover

(The Spice-Box of Earth 1961)

* * *

The Rest is Dross

We meet at a hotel
With many quarters for the radio
surprised that we've survived as lovers
not each other's 
but lovers still
with outrageous hope and habits in the craft
which embarrass us slightly
as we let them be known
the special caress the perfect inflammatory word
the starvation we do not tell about
We do what only lovers can
make a gift out of necessity
Looking at our clothes
folded over the chair
I see we no longer follow the fashion
and we own our own skins
God I'm happy we've forgotten nothing
and can love each other
for years in the world

(Flowers for Hitler 1964)

Hiç yorum yok: